The Christians of the early church adopted the Greek philosophy of separating body and soul. This was not the way of Jesus. Jesus believed, as other Jews, that God created us one being–body, soul, and mind. This six-week course will delve into this perspective. It is taught by instructors, Ben and Erica Berry–a couple who understand this integration at a deep spiritual level. You can read their bios on our team page here.
Following is an excerpt from Lesson 1:
Body and Spirit are intimately intertwined, and God seems to delight in our humanness. God breathed into us the breath of life (neshamah in Hebrew) and we came alive with God’s Spirit. God’s Spirit pours into us, and through us, so much that it’s difficult–even impossible–to see where our physical bodies end and Spirit begins. That is, if we pay attention. We experience things both as body and spirit. The challenge is to awaken to God within and around us as we engage the world with our bodies, moment by moment, breath by breath. When we do this, we can begin to acknowledge these everyday moments as a loving, continuous conversation between us and God, and we can truly begin to “pray without ceasing.”
The six-week class/retreat offers lessons on the following topics:
- Introduction to spirituality of the body
- Theological grounding and history
- The breath
- Breath prayer
This is our first course is offered in the area of Body Wellness and Spirituality and I am thrilled to share the expertise of the Berrys with you. The course is a Level One class, click here for an explanation of this format.
Following are instructions for navigating the class:
- The class begins on Monday, September 5th, and continues for six weeks.
- The heart of the class is the daily assignments. This is where transformation takes place.
- Each lesson will have a few pages of narrative to lay the groundwork and then you will be given assignments for the week.
- When you register for the class, you will receive a password to access the lessons. Keep this password for access to each lesson. (Email us if you forget the password.)
- On each subsequent Monday of the class, the next lesson and assignments will be made available for download on the course page. The daily assignments will be posted under the lesson text.
- If you have questions, you may contact us at email@example.com.
The instructors suggest that you will reap the greatest benefit from the course if you have others sign up to do the assignments with you. You will also, however, be blessed by doing it alone. To begin the class, click here.