Ministers and their families are of special focus for Selah. It is our intent to offer them services specifically crafted for their needs and contexts. Research by Dr. Halstead (2000) found that clergy require six types of support in order to have a successful, vibrant and fulfilling ministry. Each area is paired with one of the Hebrew names of God that speak to the support that God provides. They are as follows:
- Tangible support – physical resources; such as salary, benefits, vacation. El Shaddai – The All Sufficient God (Gen. 17:1)
- Esteem support – respect offered for a person’s qualities, belief in the person’s abilities, and validation of the person’s thoughts, feelings, and/or actions. El Hanne’eman – The Faithful God (Deut 7:9)
- Emotional support – expressions of love, empathy, friendship, and concern. Immanuel – The God With Us (Isa. 7:14)
- Informational support – factual input, professional development. El De’ot – The God of Knowledge (I Samuel 2:13)
- Familial support – emotional and esteem support offered to the family of the minister. El Hanne’eman – The Faithful God (Deut 7:9)
- Spiritual support – accountability and mentoring for the spiritual journey of the minister. El Hakkadosh – The Holy God (Isaiah 5:16)
Retreats, classes, seminars, and personal spiritual direction are offered to the minister and their family with special attention given to the unique context in which they live.
Dr. Halstead also is available to offer spiritual direction to church staffs and leadership on a monthly basis.